Take a look at the latest news and rumors around the NHL.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NHL season is well underway, with every team having played at least 40 games. The Washington Capitals are atop the Eastern Conference, while the Dallas Stars possess the lead in the West.
Check out the latest NHL rumors.
• Tampa Bay Lighting forward Jonathan Drouin requested a trade last week, but that doesn’t mean a trade will happen. One NHL general manager told Sportsnet, “I wouldn’t be surprised if they kissed and made up.”
• Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville signed a three-year extension, reports NHL.com. Quenneville added to the day with a win that tied him for second all-time in career wins with 782.
• The Los Angeles Kings and Anze Kopitar are making progress on a new contract, reports Darren Dreger.
• New Jersey Devils forward Patrik Elias underwent knee surgery Tuesday, the team announced. Elias is out indefinitely.
• Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin possesses a $124 million contract. But according to Yahoo Sports!, even Ovechkin is getting caught up in the Powberball fever.
• Carolina Hurricanes forward Eric Staal could be on the trade block with the deadline approaching. According to NHL.com, Staal is finding the situation “more challenging than [he] thought it would be.”