Stuart Holden returns to field after 16-month layoff

Publish date:
Stuart Holden had last played in a Mar. 2011 match against Aston Villa.

Stuart Holden had last played in a Mar. 2011 match against Aston Villa.

LONDON (AP) -- American midfielder Stuart Holden played his first game in 16 months and only his second in 22 months, returning from knee surgery as Bolton defeated Sunderland 2-0 Tuesday night to advance to the FA Cup's fourth round.

Holden entered in the 74th minute of the third-round replay. The 27-year-old, a member of the 2010 U.S. World Cup team, injured his right knee during a challenge by Manchester United's Jonny Evans during a Premier League game on March 19, 2011. Holden returned from surgery to play in a League Cup match against Aston Villa that Sept. 20, then had another operation on the same knee eight days later.

"It felt amazing to be back out on the field doing what I love again," Holden said in an email to The Associated Press. "All the hard work over the past year during some really tough times prepared me well for this moment. Onwards and upwards from here, the work doesn't stop now. It's only the beginning of the next step to playing every week!"

Holden's role at the 2010 World Cup was limited after his right leg was broken from a tackle by Nigel de Jong during the Americans' exhibition game at the Netherlands that March 3. He was out of action until May 9, Bolton's final game of that season.

Marvin Sordell scored a pair of goals for second-tier Bolton, converting a penalty kick in the 64th minute after Jack Colback fouled Darren Pratley and doubling the lead in the 73rd. Bolton hosts Everton in the next round on Jan. 26.

Fulham, Stoke and Wigan beat lower-league opposition in other replays.

Stoke will play Premier League champion Manchester after Jonathan Walters scored twice in overtime in a 4-1 victory over Crystal Palace. Walters had two own goals and missed a penalty kick in Saturday's Premier League defeat against Chelsea.

Fulham rallied to win 2-1 at Blackpool when Kieran Richardson tied the score in the fourth minute of second-half stoppage time and Brede Hangeland scored on a header in the 116th minute.

Mauro Boselli's 18th-minute goal gave Wigan a 1-0 victory at Bournemouth, and Queens Park Rangers won 1-0 at Premier League rival West Bromwich Albion on Jay Bothroyd's 75th-minute goal.

Real Madrid tops Valencia in Copa del Rey

MADRID (AP) -- Karim Benzema scored in the 37th minute and Jose Guardado had an own goal in the 67th as Real Madrid defeated Valencia 2-0 in the first leg of the Copa del Rey quarterfinals.

The second leg of the total-goals series is at Valencia next week.

On Wednesday, defending champion Barcelona hosts Malaga and Zaragoza is home against Sevilla. Atletico Madrid hosts Real Betis on Thursday.

Ranocchia lifts Inter Milan into Italian Cup semis

MILAN (AP) -- Andrea Ranocchia scored on a header off a corner kick in the 120th minute as Inter Milan beat Bologna 3-2 in overtime after wasting a two-goal lead and reached the Italian Cup semifinals.

Goals by Fredy Guarin in the 34th minute and Rodrigo Palacio in the 77th built a 2-0 lead, but Bologna tied it when Alessandro Diamanti curved a free kick around Inter's wall and in off the crossbar in the 80th, and Manolo Gabbiadini scored on a volley in the 84th.

Inter will play the winner of Wednesday's game between Fiorentina and Roma. Juventus meets Lazio in the other semifinal.

Before kickoff, representatives of both clubs honored Hungarian coach Arpad Weisz, who guided Inter to one league title and Bologna to two in the 1920s and 1930s. Weisz, who was Jewish, died at the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland during World War II.

PKs put Saint-Etienne into French League Cup final

PARIS (AP) -- Saint-Etienne beat Lille 7-6 on penalty kicks following a 0-0 tie and will play Rennes or Montpellier in the French League Cup final as its tries for its first major trophy since winning the league in 1981.

Saint-Etienne's Yohan Mollo missed his spot kick early into the shootout. With the score 4-4 and the chance to send his team to the final, Lille's Florent Balmont hit a post with a weak kick. The next five kicks were converted before Lille's Idrissa Gueye shot over the crossbar.

Rennes plays Montpellier on Wednesday.