Mike Dean has been removed as the fourth official for Tottenham's Premier League clash with Chelsea on Wednesday.
The Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) have confirmed that the 50-year-old will now be on the touch-line for Manchester City's game against West Ham at the Etihad Stadium instead.
The confirmation of Dean's removal from the fixture comes after Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino confronted the official after the north London side's 2-1 defeat to Burnley at the weekend.
Pochettino initially seemed to have an amicable conversation with Dean and his touchline officials at full-time, but returned immediately to the centre-circle when it appeared something had been said in his direction as he walked away.
Both the Argentine and his assistant, Jesus Perez, could be seen angrily remonstrating with Dean, and are facing the threat of possible sanctions from the Football Association over their actions.
Speaking after the game, Pochettino admitted that he had made a mistake, and intimated that he would be ready to accept whatever punishment the FA may deem necessary.
He said (as quoted by Sky Sports): "It's so important to understand that it was such an important game for us. I believed before the game it was going to be decisive if we want to be a contender at the end of the season to fight for the Premier League.
"But at the end, because of the emotions, everyone was nervous, sometimes we find answers, excuses, and try to justify the defeat."
He added: "It's not how I normally behave, maybe because I knew very well before and after the game, when we lost, that it is going to be difficult to be a real contender.
"I am going to accept everything that can happen from the FA. But what happened on the pitch I hope is not going further."