Skip to main content

Wolves Stun 10-Man Man City With Come-From-Behind Win

Man City led 2-0 on goals from Raheem Sterling but watched it all go wrong at the Molineux.
Wolves stun Man City in the Premier League

WOLVERHAMPTON, England (AP) – Matt Doherty scored in the 90th minute to complete Wolverhampton's comeback from two goals down to beat 10-man Manchester City 3-2 on Friday, dealing a further blow to the champions' faint hopes of defending the Premier League title.

City is third in the standings halfway through the season, 14 points behind leader Liverpool. Jurgen Klopp's side is 13 points ahead of Leicester with a game in hand, putting the 18-time champions in strong position to end a three-decade title drought.

City has now lost five of its opening 19 games of the season, but had coped initially after goalkeeper Ederson was sent off in the 12th minute for rushing out of the penalty area and bringing down Diogo Jota.

City took the lead in the 25th minute after a chaotic spell.

After Riyad Mahrez went down in the area, VAR gave the penalty and Raheem Sterling's initial effort was saved by goalkeeper Rui Patricio.

Scroll to Continue

SI Recommends

But the spot kick was ordered to be retaken due to encroachment and, after the goalkeeper saved again, Sterling tapped in the rebound.

Objects, including what appeared to be a hip flask, were hurled toward Sterling. An announcement during the first half at Molineux warned fans that there had been numerous reports of the throwing of foreign objects.

Sterling struck again in the 50th minute, breaking clear of the Wolves defense and lifting the ball over Patricio.

But Adama Traore gave Wolves hope five minutes later when he scored into the bottom corner.

Wolves leveled eight minutes from end.

Traore dispossessed City defender Benjamin Mendy, who was trying to shield it out of play for a goal kick, and crossed for Raul Jimenez to convert into the net.

Wolves completed the turnaround in the 89th minute as Doherty fired past goalkeeper Claudio Bravo.