The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet. Petra Kvitova withdraws from Indian Wells as others recieve main draw wildcards.
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Worrisome: No. 4 Petra Kvitova has withdrawn from Indian Wells citing exhaustion.
• Wildcard news from Indian Wells: Juan Martin del Potro takes a wildcard into the main draw. That's some positive news. Also receiving main draw wildcards:Tim Smyczek, Ryan Harrison, Denis Kudla, Austin Krajicek, Nicole Gibbs, Taylor Townsend, Grace Min, Louisa Chirico, Sachia Vickery, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, and Donna Vekic. Qualifying Wildcards granted to Mackenzie McDonald, Taylor Fritz, Julia Boserup, Maria Sanchez, Tornado Black, Allie Kiick, Hsieh Su-Wei and Yannick Hanfmann.
• Wildcard news from the Miami Open: Main draw men: Andrey Rubley, Hyeon Chung, Ryan Harrison and Kyle Edmund. Qualifying wildcards: Gianluigi Quinzi, Omar Jasika, Michael Mmoh, Taro Daniele and Elias Ymer. Main draw women: Cici Bellis, Indy Devroome, Nicole Vaidisova, Sorana Cirstea, Natalya Vikhlyantseva, Paula Badosa. Qualifying wildcards: Laura Robson Oceane Dodin, Fanny Stollar, Ipek Soylu, Arantxa Rus, Sachia Vickery.
• Kamakshi Tandon for ESPN on the ITF's new restrictive nationality rule, which has a major impact on Davis Cup, Fed Cup, and the Olympics.
• From Tennis.com's 50th Anniversary series: When 16-year-old Chris Evert became a star.
• Beautiful gallery of slowed-down tennis photos over at Slate.
• More discussion on the dearth of tennis analytics.
• Interesting thoughts from Andrea Petkovic here: The best umpires shouldn't be on center court, they should be on the outside courts where there is no Hawkeye.
• Report: A match-fixing investigation is underway in Denmark, once again involving low-level Futures tournaments.
• When the defending champions aren't even interested in defending, is Davis Cup broken?
• This just about sums up the WTA coaching carousel so far: