Daily Bagel: Serena Williams gets a cake for her 700th career win
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• It wasn't easy, but Serena Williams scored her 700th career win with a 7-6, 1-6, 6-3 victory over Sabine Lisicki to advance to the Miami Open semifinals. She'll play either No. 3 Simona Halep or Sloane Stephens. That semifinal will be played on Thursday.
• Lleyton Hewitt has taken a wildcard into the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships.
• Another piece on the lack of tennis analytics. With no financial incentive for tennis' governing bodies to change, it's up to fans to drive data collection for the sport.
• Andrea Petkovic says the Miami chaos actually relaxes her.
• Andy Murray blows a kiss to the haters after getting his 500th win on Tuesday:
Thanks to everyone for the messages today.. Never imagined reaching 500 wins when I first started on the tour! Thanks to all the fans who— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) March 31, 2015
Have supported me throughout my career so far it's much appreciated and I'll keep trying to make you happy😉also to my family, friends and— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) March 31, 2015
My team for all their encouragement and support and for always sticking by me 😀 and to the haters I love you all💋— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) March 31, 2015
• Some stats on how Murray got to No. 500.
• Carla Suarez Navarro shows off her touch in her win over Venus Williams on Tuesday night:
• Sorry, Caroline. You don't fool us. Happy April Fool's Day, everyone;
1/2 As of today I am officially announcing my retirement from tennis and I am going to focus on TV and modeling.— Caroline Wozniacki (@CaroWozniacki) April 1, 2015
2/2 I want to thank all of you for the amazing support over the years, it's been truly amazing! It wouldn't have been the same without you!— Caroline Wozniacki (@CaroWozniacki) April 1, 2015