The Major League Baseball offseason is officially underway. And before a potential lockout threatens to turn the Hot Stove ice cold, we're keeping tabs on the free agent market.
This winter's class of free agents is considerably deep, and highlighting it will be the crop of shortstops hitting the market. The quintet of Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Marcus Semien, Trevor Story and Javier Báez will catch a number of headlines in the coming weeks, and all five are expected to receive significant paydays.
You can track the latest news, rumors and signings of the free agent shortstops right here on InsideTheRangers.com. These players are listed in order by their respective bWAR (Baseball Reference's Wins Above Replacement). Each player's seasonal age for the 2022 season will also be in parentheses.
NOTE: Though Marcus Semien played second base for the Blue Jays in 2021, he may be pursued, or at least wants to be paid as a shortstop, which is where he played during his days in Oakland. Therefore, we are including him in our shortstop tracker.
Sources: Rangers Making Push For Seager, Story
The Texas Rangers committed a lot of money to free agents on Sunday—and they may not be done.
Rangers To Sign Jon Gray To Four-Year Contract
The Texas Rangers continued a busy Sunday, only this time they bolstered their starting rotation.
Report: Rangers To Sign Marcus Semien To Seven-Year Contract
The Texas Rangers went into the offseason with money to spend and just landed a big-name free agent.
- Carlos Correa (27, 7.2 bWAR) -- rejected qualifying offer
- Marcus Semien (31, 7.1) -- signed 7-year, $175 million contract with Rangers
- Trevor Story (29, 4.2) -- rejected qualifying offer
- Javier Báez (29, 4.5)
- Corey Seager (28, 3.7) -- rejected qualifying offer
- Andrelton Simmons (32, 1.4)
- Freddy Galvis (32, 1.0)
- Andrew Romine (36, -0.2)
- José Iglesias (32, -0.6)
News and Rumors
- Nov. 26: After making a trio of impact free agent signings, the Mets are "still very serious" about a reunion with Javier Báez, according to SI's Pat Ragazzo.
- Nov. 26: The Tigers and Javier Báez have had discussions about a potential free agent contract, per multiple reports. No deal in place yet.
- Nov. 24: MLB Network's Jon Morosi suggests the Rangers and Javier Báez could be a fit.
- Nov. 12: While the Tigers are expected to be key players in free agency, MLB Network's Jon Morosi reports some uncertainty that Detroit is willing to go into the $250-million range for a shortstop. The Tigers reportedly plan to address their starting rotation, and have spent time discussing pitching.
- Nov. 10: The Rangers have reportedly met with super-agent Scott Boras about Corey Seager.
- Nov. 6: Per Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston, the Astros have offered Carlos Correa a five-year, $160 million contract, which would be a $32 million AAV. While the AAV is an expected market value for Correa, the length is far shorter than what most anticipate Correa will end up receiving. MLB Network's Jon Heyman calls the offer a "non-starter", and likely halts further discussion with Houston.
- Nov. 4: Carlos Correa thanked fans for their support during his time in Houston, which he said "was amazing". Correa also said all he could think about during his final at-bat of the 2022 World Series that it could be his last as an Astro inside Minute Maid Park. While a reunion with the Astros can't be completely ruled out, that sounds like a guy who's about to be on the move.
- Oct. 25: A source tells SI's InsideTheRangers.com that Texas Rangers manager Chris Woodward covets Corey Seager in this year's crop of free agent shortstops. Woodward was the third base coach of the Dodgers for three seasons before becoming the skipper of the Rangers, so his ties to Seager are not surprising.
- Oct. 25: After the Dodgers' loss to the Braves in the National League Championship Series, Seager told The Athletic's Fabian Ardaya that he is "absolutely" interested in a reunion with the Dodgers. A return to L.A. would likely require a positional change since the Dodgers traded for Trea Turner this past season and are reportedly committed to him as their shortstop in 2022.
More Free Agent Trackers on InsideTheRangers.com:
Make sure to like SI's 'Inside The Rangers' on Facebook