See the latest news and rumors around the NFL heading into Week 5.
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
As the Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans kick off Week 5 of the NFL season Thursday night, only the Detroit Lions are left searching for their first win, while the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, and New England Patriots all remain undefeated.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below:
• Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck will miss Thursday’s game against the Texans with a lingering shoulder injury, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. Backup Matt Hasselbeck will be making his second consecutive start in place of Luck, despite being listed as questionable earlier in the week.
• San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Tomsula rebuffed the idea of a quarterback battle, but said he wants Colin Kaepernick to play with more confidence, Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News reports. Kaepernick has thrown for just two touchdowns with five interceptions this season.
• Browns cornerback Tramon Williams said the NFL told the team that officials wrongly flagged him for being offsides during a 39-yard game-winning field goal attempt by Chargers kicker Josh Lambo, reports Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. That attempt went wide right, but Lambo made the kick following the penalty to win the game for San Diego.
• 49ers wide receiver Torrey Smith said that he’s “embarrassed” by their offensive production through four games, ESPN’s Paul Gutierrez reports. The 49ers rank dead last in the NFL in passing yards per game.
• Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu said that the Detroit Lions look like they don’t understand their offensive system, Josh Katzenstien of the Detroit News reports. The Cardinals will face the Lions on Sunday.
SI’s Fantasy Football Video Analysis
Mouse over a photo for a pop-up view. Click on a link to go to the video.