Skip to main content
SI

Julian Alvarez’s Transfer Battle With Atletico Madrid Isn’t Stopping Anytime Soon

The Argentine is still looking for an escape route out of the Metropolitano.
Julián Alvarez is only two years into his six-year deal with Atlético Madrid.
Julián Alvarez is only two years into his six-year deal with Atlético Madrid. | Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto/Getty Images

The summer’s most combustible transfer saga is still unfolding in the Spanish capital as Julián Alvarez and Atlético Madrid continue to trade blows over his failed transfer to Barcelona.

Atlético Madrid CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín boldly claimed the Argentine forward “hasn’t had the best advisors around him in recent months” in an interview with the news agency EFE on Friday. Alvarez’s agent Fernando Hidalgo was quick to react.

“Never ask a liar why he lied. To explain himself, he would have to lie again,” Hidalgo posted on social media, seemingly in response to Gil Marín’s incendiary statement.

The exchange is the latest in a string of back-and-forth jabs between the two camps after Alvarez publicly expressed his desire to leave Atlético Madrid during the 2026 World Cup. The player’s wishes were met with nothing but defiance from Gil Marín and Co., who made it clear Alvarez was not up for sale even when Barcelona and Real Madrid made formal offers for the 26-year-old.

“Atlético Madrid, like every big club, is built on great players, and Julián is one of them, as well as being a great professional," Gil Marín said. “We have to compete with our values, with homegrown players and the best players we can bring in from outside.

“We are going to help Julián and continue to look after him, so he can reach his full potential.”


Diego Simeone Has His Say

Diego Simeone
Diego Simeone backed Atlético Madrid CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín. | Dennis Agyeman/Europa Press/Getty Images

Atlético Madrid manager Diego Simeone has also been vocal about keeping Alvarez, who is under contract until June 2030, at the Metropolitano. Just 24 hours after Gil Marín stoked the flames, the Argentine boss only added more fuel to the fire.

“There's no uncertainty. Miguel Ángel [Gil Marín] spoke clearly,” Simeone said in his pregame press conference.

“For me [Alvarez’s] a really important player to achieve our objectives. We’ll be with him, we’ll look after him on the sporting side, because he’s our player ... he’ll be in the squad tomorrow.”

Alvarez was not called up for Atlético Madrid’s La Liga opener against Málaga midweek, a decision that came down to match fitness, per Simeone. The former Manchester City standout did not feature in the team’s condensed preseason after reaching the World Cup final with Argentina.

All eyes will be on Simeone and Alvarez come Sunday when Atlético Madrid host Villarreal. It likely will be a very hostile reception for the Argentina international.


Where Do Barcelona, Arsenal Stand in Alvarez’s Transfer Saga?

Julián Alvarez
Julián Alvarez wants out of the Spanish capital. | Julian Finney/UEFA/Getty Images

It’s no secret Barcelona labeled Alvarez their ideal long-term replacement for Robert Lewandowski, who left the club as a free agent this summer to join MLS side Chicago Fire. The Catalans became even more desperate to seal the transfer once Ferran Torres also departed for Paris Saint-Germain.

Yet recent reports claim the defending Spanish champions finally decided to give up their chase of Alvarez after months of roadblocks from Atlético Madrid. Even Barcelona’s best efforts were futile considering Gil Marín previously claimed: “Our answer is infinite: we don’t want to transfer him. We didn’t accept €100 million, and we won’t accept €150 million or €200 million either.”

For a club already dealing with financial constraints, Barcelona certainly could not shell out enough to satisfy the player’s €500 million ($584 million) release clause.

Arsenal were also linked with Alvarez this summer as Mikel Arteta searched the market for an elite attacking reinforcement. According to The Athletic, the Gunners indicated their interest in the forward to Atlético Madrid, but wanted “encouragement from the player’s camp” before proceeding with any formal negotiations.

Alvarez, though, is “adamant” about moving to Barcelona. It would take a shift from the player to make moving to Arsenal a “realistic prospect.”

Unless something drastic changes before the Sept. 1 deadline, the only realistic option for Alvarez appears to be with Atlético Madrid.


Add us as a preferred source on Google

Published | Modified
Amanda Langell
AMANDA LANGELL

Amanda Langell is a writer and editor for SI FC. Born and raised in New York City, her first loves were the Yankees, the Rangers and Broadway before Real Madrid took over her life. Had it not been for her brother’s obsession with Cristiano Ronaldo, she would have never lived through so many magical Champions League nights 3,600 miles away from the Bernabéu. When she’s not consumed by Spanish and European soccer, she’s traveling, reading or losing her voice at a concert.