NFL Veteran quarterback Trevor Siemian will start for the New Orleans Saints over Taysom Hill on Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, according to NFL Insider Ian Rapoport.
Siemian, who began his career with the Denver Broncos in 2015, entered in relief of Jameis Winston against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday afternoon. The Northwestern product finished the NFC South matchup by completing 16 of 29 passes for 159 yards and a touchdown to the Saints' fifth victory of the 2021 NFL regular season.
With Jameis Winston's MRI confirming a torn ACL and damage to the MCL earlier this week, Sean Payton decided who would be the New Orleans starter moving forward. Last season, when Drew Brees suffered a rib injury against the 49ers, Jameis Winston played in relief while Taysom Hill started the next four games.
Hill, who posted a 3-1 record as a starter in 2020, is second on the Saints depth chart at quarterback and was the favorite to lead the Saints again in 2021 following Winston's injury. However, reports say the Saints are going in a different direction and keeping Hill in his gadget role within the Saints offense.
Siemian's career statistics total a career record of 13-12-0. For his career, he has thrown for 5,848 yards, 31 touchdowns, and 24 interceptions. He last started a game in Week 2 of 2019 for the New York Jets.
Saints News Network will have continued coverage on this developing story.
For all the latest New Orleans Saints News & Rumors follow:
The Saints News Network at www.Si.com/NFL/ Saints
Follow Saints News Network’s Writer, Brendan Boylan, on Twitter & Instagram at @btboylan.
Continue to follow all Saints’ coverage on Social Media with Saints News Network at @SaintsNews on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Read More Saints News
- A Closer Look at Saints QB Trevor Siemian
- First Look: Falcons vs. Saints
- Philip Rivers Would Listen If Saints Called
- Playing Out Options to Replace Jameis Winston
- Will the Saints Make a Deal Before the Trade Deadline?
- Saints Players & Staff React to Jameis Winston's Season-Ending Injury
- Game Balls From the Saints' Impressive 36-27 Win Over the Buccaneers
- Report: Saints QB Jameis Winston Has Torn ACL, MCL Damage
- Week 8 Saints Snap Counts and Observations
- Saints Report Card vs. Bucs - Week 8
- Watch: Winston 'Dances With Crutches' in Locker Room Celebration
- What Will the Saints Do Without Jameis Winston?
- Sean Payton Says Winston's Injury is 'Significant'
- Game Recap: Saints Drop Candy Corn in Bucs' Halloween Bucket