Dodgers Manager Says the Quiet Part Out Loud Regarding Tanner Scott, Edwin Diaz

In this story:
The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Tanner Scott to a four-year, $72 million contract on Jan. 19, 2025. He began last season as the undisputed closer, but by the end of May he had blown one save (five) for every two he converted (10). He was not on the Dodgers' World Series roster once the season ended.
Not coincidentally, the Dodgers signed Edwin Díaz to a three-year, $69 million contract on Dec. 9, 2025. He began the season as the undisputed closer, but has spent more time on the injured list than the active roster.
When he was placed on the 15-day injured list with a neck injury on Tuesday, Díaz had allowed 18 runs in 13.2 innings (11.85 ERA), with an almost-unfathomable 2.56 WHIP.
Fortunately, Scott has returned to form.
The left-hander has converted a team-leading 18 saves in 20 opportunities. His 2.28 ERA and 0.92 WHIP make him the best reliever — left-handed or right-handed — at Dave Roberts' disposal.
Yet Roberts was still saving Díaz for the ninth inning of Monday's game against the Colorado Rockies, his last appearance before he was placed on the IL. Until Wednesday, there was some question about whether Díaz would get the ninth inning again once his IL stint was over.
Roberts finally conceded the obvious Wednesday: Scott deserves to be the Dodgers' closer even after Díaz gets healthy.
“When he’s right, his [fastball] is 96-98 [mph], and there is a really good slider in there,” Roberts said. “I think Tanner’s superpower is that he doesn’t really let things affect his emotions. You could argue that he could have been the closer; should have been the closer. Nothing affects him once he steps on the field.
"Right now, it’s easy to say he’s our best reliever and most consistent reliever, and I certainly see him as our closer.”
Roberts' comments follow a pattern that's followed him throughout his tenure as the Dodgers' manager. When it comes to struggling closers — from Kenley Jansen to Craig Kimbrel to Scott and Díaz — patience is always preferred to a sudden change in titles.
Scott didn't have his closer title removed last year, so much as he simply stopped getting opportunities after Roki Sasaki moved to the Dodgers' bullpen. When an injury finally got in his way, Scott was removed from the Dodgers' NL Division Series roster and he never returned.
History seems to be repeating itself. This time, Scott is the beneficiary of a poor-performing reliever's misfortune.
Sign up for our free newsletter and follow us on X/Twitter and Facebook for the latest news.

J.P. Hoornstra is an On SI Contributor. A veteran of 20 years of sports coverage for daily newspapers in California, J.P. covered MLB, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Los Angeles Angels (occasionally of Anaheim) from 2012-23 for the Southern California News Group. His first book, The 50 Greatest Dodgers Games of All-Time, published in 2015. In 2016, he won an Associated Press Sports Editors award for breaking news coverage. He once recorded a keyboard solo on the same album as two of the original Doors.
Follow jphoornstra