It’s been a busy few of weeks as most of college football’s postseason awards have been naming their preseason watch lists as the beginning of the season is a month away.
The TCU Horned Frogs have been fortunate to have eight players named to 14 of these watch lists or preseason teams. As each of these watch lists has been announced, KillerFrogs has published an article with more information about the award and the TCU player named to that watch list.
The following summarizes the different nominations and various articles written about the watch lists. Clicking the award title below will take you to the article on that award/trophy.
Steve Avila (Center)
Andrew Coker (Offensive Tackle)
- Allstate AFCA Good Works Team – Community Service, Academics, Impact on and off the Field
- Wuerfell Trophy – Community Service and Leadership
Derius Davis (Wide Receiver/Return Specialist)
- Paul Hornung Award – Most Versatile Player
Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson (Cornerback)
- Bronko Nagurski Trophy – Top Defensive Player
- Paycom Jim Thorpe Award – Top Defensive Back
- Chuck Bednarik Award - Top Defensive Player
- Preseason All-Big 12
Quentin Johnston (Wide Receiver)
- Biletnikoff Award – Top Receiver, regardless of position
- Maxwell Award – Most Outstanding Player
- Walter Camp Player of the Year – Most Outstanding Player
- Preseason All-Big 12
Kendre Miller (Running Back)
- Doak Walker Award – Top Running Back
Jordy Sandy (Punter)
- Ray Guy Award – Top Punter
Dee Winters (Linebacker)
- Butkus Award – Top Linebacker
Also, in the last two weeks, KillerFrogs has published articles on our predictions of which player will win the major postseason college football awards.
Those predictions can be found here:
Big 12 Nominations
All ten of the Big 12 schools had players named to at least five of the preseason awards. A total of 69 players from the league received 98 nominations to the preseason watch lists for the 17 awards and trophies.
TCU’s 14 nominations (not counting the two Preseason All-Big 12 nominations) tie Texas with the most for one school. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma both had the most players nominated with nine.
Bijan Robinson of Texas had four nominations, the most of any player in the Big 12. Twelve players had three nominations each – Dillon Gabriel (Oklahoma), Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson (TCU), Xavier Hutchinson (Iowa State), Siaki Ika (Baylor), Quentin Johnston (TCU), Will McDonald (Iowa State), Marvin Mims (Oklahoma), DeMarvion Overshown (Texas), Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma State), Dante Stills (West Virginia), Deuce Vaughn (Kansas State), and Xavier Worthy (Texas).
Here is how it breaks down by school:
- Baylor – 11 watch lists (7 players)
- Iowa State – 10 watch lists (5 players)
- Kansas – 6 watch lists (4 players)
- Kansas State – 10 watch lists (7 players)
- Oklahoma – 13 watch lists (9 players)
- Oklahoma State – 12 watch lists (9 players)
- TCU – 14 watch lists (8 players)
- Texas – 14 watch lists (7 players)
- Texas Tech – 7 watch lists (6 players)
- West Virginia – 11 watch lists (7 players)
For a complete list of the Big 12 nominations, click here.
Want to join the discussion? Click here to become a member of the Killer Frogs message board community today!
Follow KillerFrogs on Twitter to stay up to date on all the latest TCU news! Follow KillerFrogs on Facebook and Instagram as well. Download the KillerFrogs app on Google Play or in the Apple App Store.