The loss of injured nickel / linebacker JoJo Domann might not have a big effect on what Nebraska does schematically Saturday against Wisconsin.
Defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said Tuesday that Isaac Gifford, the new top man at the position, "has done a really nice job all year" but "just hasn’t gotten a lot of chances because JoJo was playing some really good football.”
Though it might be assumed the smash-mouth nature of Wisconsin's offense will dictate limited snaps for the hybrid nickel position, Chinander had this to say: "Some of the packages will be a little bit different ... but I don't think you'll see a vast departure from what we have been doing."
In addition to the tweaked personnel packages, Chinander said there are "some different guys who will probably see some action this week, so those guys are excited to play."
Domann remains a valuable team leader and will travel to Madison, Chinander said.
Chinander said safety Deontai Williams practiced Tuesday and is on track to play Saturday after missing two games with a knee injury.
Much more from Tuesday's practice is in the links below. Refresh this page for the latest updates. Go here for the HuskerMax discussion. Asterisk indicates item may require a subscription.
- Husker247 | Gifford doesn't want to waste Husker chance he knows many want
- Husker247 | Quick hits: Chinander, Husker defense prepare for Wisconsin
- Husker247 | Toure discusses coaching change, the truth of tape, and trying to leave a foundation
- Hail Varsity | Erik Chinander Talks 'Different Guys' to Get Action Against Wisconsin and More
- HuskerOnline | Tuesday nuggets: Williams on track to return for Blackshirts
- Nebraska Athletics | Chinander Prepares Defense for the Badgers
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Lincoln kid Gifford looks to 'run with' opportunity as he gears up for first extended playing time
- Lincoln Journal Star* | What's left for Nebraska in 2021? A chance to end long losing streaks and win 'culture games'
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Williams expected to play; Chinander 'thankful' for recognition; Toure reflects on season
- Omaha World-Herald* | Isaac Gifford's time has arrived for the Huskers, and he's 'ready to play'
- Omaha World-Herald* | Samori Touré's transfer to Nebraska has 'definitely worked out'
- Omaha World-Herald* | Husker notes: Deontai Williams may return to action for Huskers against Wisconsin
- Hail Varsity | Sorensen/Smith
- Lincoln Journal Star | Four Downs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Two-Minute Drill
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan
From the other side
- Badger Blitz | Dual-threat quarterback Adrian Martinez to present annual test for Badgers
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel* | Nebraska has playmakers on offense and defense but special teams have struggled
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel* | Scott Frost has not resurrected Nebraska's program in three-plus seasons, but he is set to return in 2022