According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, former All Pro-Bowl Safety Tyrann Mathieu has agreed to a deal with the New Orleans Saints. The deal is for three-years, $33M, including $18M fully guaranteed. Though further language needs to be finalized and pen put to paper, Mathieu is set to be the newest member of the Black and Gold.
Mathieu, 29, a New Orleans native was an All-American & SEC Defensive Player of the Year at Louisiana State University before being drafted in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Arizona Cardinals.
After meeting with Mathieu in April, New Orleans aggressively pushed for the "Honey Badger" following the 2022 NFL Draft.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, after failing to land a safety in the draft, the team re-opened their talks with Mathieu, making a strong push to add him to the roster.
Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis dropped hints during his media availability following the 2022 NFL Draft, stating the team had one more position the team must address and that the media could probably guess which position.
Mathieu and the Saints retained mutual interest throughout the off-season, including a meeting at the team's training facility in Metairie, LA. New Orleans will undoubtedly cherish the addition of Mathieu after losing both their starting safeties from a season ago. The NFL veteran provides experience and playmaking ability to a talented and youthful defensive backfield and should immediately impact the field and with the fan base.
Mathieu has proven to be the ultimate playmaker during his NFL career, totaling 610 tackles, ten sacks, 26 interceptions, four forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, and three defensive touchdowns.
Those statistics have earned him three first-team All-Pro selections and three trips to the Pro-Bowl. He also won a Super Bowl title with the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV.
Read More Saints News
- Saints Expected to Make 'Aggressive Push' for Tyrann Mathieu
- Saints Announce Addition of 17 Undrafted Rookies
- Grading the Jordan Jackson Pick
- Saints Take Air Force's Jordan Jackson at 194th Overall
- Jameis Winston Graduates from Florida State University
- Saints Take Appalachian State's D'Marco Jackson at 161st Overall
- Grading the Alontae Taylor Pick
- Watch: Saints Drafting CB Alontae Taylor
- Saints Take Alontae Taylor at 49th Overall
- Deonte Harty Signs RFA Tender
- Dennis Allen on Olave and Penning: 'They're Saints,' 'Tough, Smart, Competitive'
- Grading the Saints' First Round Picks and Trade
- Saints Take Northern Iowa's Trevor Penning at 19th Overall
- DRAFT TRADE! Saints Take Chris Olave at 11th Overall After Trading with Commanders
For all the latest New Orleans Saints News & Rumors follow:
The Saints News Network at www.Si.com/NFL/ Saints
Follow Saints News Network’s Writer, Brendan Boylan, on Twitter & Instagram at @btboylan.
Continue to follow all Saints’ coverage on Social Media with Saints News Network at @SaintsNews on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.